Nude Modeling



     I modeled nude for an art project, and the really cool thing was that my resulting panic attack conveniently waited to burst out until much later that day.

     The actual shoot was amazing and life changing and yet…super chill. Incredibly chill. I was nearly 20 minutes late, which made me stress sweat all over downtown Indianapolis. And that term is really very misleading because going from one end of downtown to the other takes about 4 years and at least 28 near-crashes, half of them due to great big yawning potholes. But I made it to the location, parked my car and walked in as fast as I could.

     The photographer, a tall and hilarious man named Jedediah, peeked his head out in the hallway as I approached the studio, and assured me I was fine and okay on time. I got to hug my friend Joey right before going in as she was leaving, her session having been right before mine. Joey was the one who got me into this to begin with, tagging me in an Instagram post that prompted Jedediah to message me and for me to commit to what was now the most vulnerable and brave thing I had ever done. She told me I smelled good and that I got this.

     I walked in the actual studio and formally introduced myself to Jedediah and his assistant, a pleasant woman named Christine. She wore a black sweater and jeans, and he wore overalls over a short top. Their clothes were important to me because I of course began taking mine off, talking the whole time. But as I got more and more naked, pulling my jeans off and sort of folding them, rolling the straps of my tank top off my shoulders, I realized that my jokes and insistence at filling the silence in the room were really just reflexes. I expected to be awkward. I expected to have a million butterflies in my stomach, for my voice to quiver and for my arms to instinctively want to cover my body but like…none of that happened. I got down to my underwear and socks and felt complete, brand new yarn braids caressing my back, and turned to Jed (I’m just going to shorten it for the sake of this post) and asked what he wanted me to do.

     The most comfortable shooting session then took place. I swear there were more problems and fake smiles during a photoshoot my family booked about fifteen years ago, all of us sweaty, cramped and uncomfortable. The studio was large, airy. Jed and Christine fiddled with the lights and cameras for a few minutes while I stood in the middle of the room, all my moisturized skin out, sliding a little in my socks for the fun of it. His directions to me were simple. “Dance lightly in a circle. Move your arms in different positions and swing your hips a little.” When I mentioned I was proud of my hair because I had just finished braiding it the day before he got excited too, “Oh we’ll definitely get some hair whips in there.” I did it all. I whipped my hair around from shoulder to shoulder and up and down, going for that magical, out of the sea, Little Mermaid flip.  I danced around in circles, I moved my arms and legs, I posed in as many different positions as I could think of.

     At some point he looked at the computer screen and exclaimed, and I walked over to see. I think back to that moment and again I am amazed that all I felt was excitement at seeing what these lights and poses were doing for me. And they were doing a LOT! The lights casted me in this sort of dark blue glow. Everything about me looked soft and powerful, like I was a minor goddess in mythology. My skin was smooth and the dips, rolls, and cellulite runs looked like they belong there. I was looking at pictures of myself naked, taken by two fully clothed people I met that same hour, and I felt not a single ounce of shame or guilt, and instead I was ready to go back in and take some more! Wild.

     After the pictures were done he asked to me answer some questions on camera as part of a documentary he may or may not make. I also loved this part. The first question he asked me was to explain what I said when I walked in. “You said you weren’t shy about being nude but that you didn’t know what to do. What did you mean by that exactly?” And I had to make it clear that first off I walked in talking a big game about not being shy, because I WAS. But then I got to feel extremely comfortable with them and I was surprised at how deep that comfort went. As for not knowing what to do… that relates back to a beautiful truth I have learned over and over and over again, and that is that I DON’T HAVE TO KNOW 100% WHAT IM DOING IN ORDER TO HAVE A GOOD TIME!! I felt like I have to yell it because it is SUCH a lifelong struggle! I was so proud of myself for coming to the realization that I don’t have to be good at everything, it’s okay to fail sometimes and to KEEP GOING, and that my job wasn’t to know it all. It makes things so much easier and opens up the world for me. “I realized that my job wasn’t to know what to do, but to be comfortable. And I was.” My recorded answer was probably a little more eloquent than that, but that’s I meant.

     Later on that night I got to perform some sexy poetry and even sing a little at an open mic show I helped put together. Even later on I got a huge wave of anxiety slammed into me when everyone from the show, plus my brother and his friend, and I met at a bar. They all sat comfortably on those high bar chairs that terrify me, and I could not hold it together. I stood there, trying to psych myself up to attempt getting at least one cheek on it, hoping that the rest of me would just slide on, but I just couldn’t do it. I ended up telling my brother I wanted to leave and that I was uncomfortable, and his disappointment at having to leave so soon after getting there was palpable.

     It’s taken me a few days to accept that…it’s okay. It’s okay to have gone from the extreme of modeling nude with strangers to wanting to leave a space because my body didn’t allow me to feel comfortable there. It doesn’t have to make sense. It just is. All that I have to do is to be kind to myself no matter what.


***Check out Jed's instagram for updates and information on his art shows!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An open letter from a suicide survivor

The Garden